Thursday, January 14, 2010

Meet my Friend Susan

My name is Susan. I was raised in a small town where religion played a big role in most everyone’s lives. I was raised in a Christian home, or for the most part that is what I believed. Sadly now, when I reflect, I can see it as being lukewarm Christianity.

I am the oldest of three children and the only girl. I loved my two younger brothers very much but always felt like an outsider. I longed for a sister to talk to and do things with. Someone I could confide in. I was raised in a strict home, yet now can see that my parents were not as "mean" as I thought them to be. Actually, I look back and see that I am thankful for that upbringing. I have great memories of vacations, short spontaneous trips here and there. Sadly, I have no memories of just good ole’ family bonding. No memory of mother/daughter times like shopping together, baking together, walks, talks, etc.

It seemed like my parents were always too busy. My parents both worked very hard and always provided well for our family. I wish they had been around more often than they were. I never really had a close relationship with my parents (especially my mom). I felt I was the problem when my parents were to get into an argument. My mom got pregnant with me when she was 16 and delivered me at 17. I tended to feel that I was a mistake. If not for me, they would never have felt pressure to marry. Therefore, would not fight over things and would be much happier. Of course, today, I know better and my parents will be celebrating 38 years of marriage later this year.

Because I was not close to my parents, I learned everything about what a young girl experiences through adolescence from friends or their parents. I attended school and had many close friends. I was what you would refer to as a social butterfly. In High School I received average grades, was involved in school clubs and also in the marching band flag corp-all while working an after school job at least 3-4 days a week. For the most part, I was a good child until I reached High School and decided to spread my wings. I was never given "the talk." But, was always told, "No sex, no drugs, no alcohol and wear your seat belt”, as I was walked out the door. I started hanging out with the wilder crowd, turning to drinking and partying. I never experimented with drugs or anything like that, just drank. I did try to smoke once, turned green and vomited and never tried that again. I dated off and on through High School but never really had any serious relationships. Unfortunately at the age of 16, I lost my virginity to someone that I thought I loved and who I thought loved me. I truly regret that I didn’t save what is supposed to be the most special time in a girl’s life for my husband.

Thankfully, during the beginning of my junior year I met Kevin while camping with my parents. Ever hear of "Love at First Site?" I had heard of it but never believed that it could truly exist. I found out I was wrong. Kevin was unlike other guys I dated. Kevin was a gentleman. He was respectful. Kevin genuinely cared about ME; he was not after that "one thing" that most other guys were interested in. Kevin and I were now dating exclusively. I started to attend Church with him and his family. I found new friends who were a better influence on me. Kevin and I dated through the rest of our High School days and after we graduated, we decided to attend the same college.

We were both working full time and going to school full time. We lived for the weekends when we could spend some quality time together. We both graduated from college with associate degrees. We had been dating for five years (which to me, seemed like eons!!!) before Kevin popped the big question. He proposed as we took a sunset walk along the beach during a vacation with my family. Of course I said yes! Kevin and I were married a year later. We both worked full time jobs, bought a home and settled into Small Town USA, where we still reside.

Two years into our marriage, Kevin and I decided that we wanted to start a family. Sadly, things did not go as we had planned and we were unable to conceive. So, a long story short, we found out that I had endometriosis, which caused the problems with infertility. In March of 1999 I had surgery...............low and behold, two weeks later I was pregnant! We were so excited! More so, when we found out that we were expecting TWINS!!!!!

Despite a very scary, high-risk, total bed rest pregnancy, our beautiful daughter and precious son were born nine months later. Lauren weighed in at 6lbs 2 oz. and Landon at 5lbs 2 oz. Being a mother of twins was very stressful, time consuming and tiring. (Actually, it still is!) Kevin’s job was taking him out of town for about 75% of the year. With the help of God, family members and so many friends, we made it through.

After the twins were born, Kevin and I decided that I would be a stay-at-home mom which was definitely a huge adjustment for us. I was earning almost as much as Kevin in income! We may have lived pay-check-to-pay-check but we were happy.

Kevin and I always knew that we wanted more children and four years later decided to try again. We were able to conceive right away but, unfortunately, two months into my pregnancy I suffered a miscarriage. I was totally devastated. Again, with the help of God, family and friends I was able to move past that loss. We decided to try again five months later. Again, Kevin and I were able to conceive right away. Five years, two months after our twins were born, we had a bouncing baby girl, Lily, who weighed in at a whopping 8lbs 6oz.

So, almost five years later (after Lily) I am still a stay-at-home mom and loving it! Kevin still travels quite often with his job and at times I feel like a single mom. I deal as well as I can. I have been truly blessed in SO MANY WAYS! I love my God and am so glad that I have His Grace to carry me through life.

I LOVE MY COFFEE CLUB GIRLS and I look forward to getting together with them, where we can talk, laugh, cry, gripe, eat and of course drink coffee!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story!! I know this was agonizing!lol

    ReplyDelete

Spill it!